January ARRL VHF Contest 2016

This years January contest, much like every years contest was nothing too spectacular.  The final contact count was 15, and the score was 336 and for my location, that’s about average.  Here in central Utah, there isn’t a lot of activity to begin with, so if there are no openings on 6 meters, the count says pretty low.

I didn’t put a lot of time or prep into this years contest, I was just happy that everything worked  like it should without any issues.  both, the 2 meter 450 watt tube amp, and the 6 meter 1kw amp hummed along with no issues.  of course, with only about 4 or 5 contacts on each of those bands, I didn’t get much of a chance to really work things over real hard.

the January contest has always been more of a troubleshooting contest.  its nice to make sure everything is working as it should before the June contest, so in that aspect, it was a success.  I am still really thinking about going portable, or maybe even rover for the June contest, but that depends on a lot of little things falling into place.  The nice thing about portable, or rover is that I can gain anywhere from 1000 feet to 5000 feet of altitude with less than an hours drive, and that should open up a few more grids for me.

I am set up pretty well for VHF contesting, I use my Yaesu FT-100D for 6 meters, and I run a Yaesu FT-736R with the Mutek boards  installed.  The radio stock covers 2/440, and I have the modules for 220, and 1296.  I plan to pick up a transverter for 900MHz and at that point, I should be set for over 95% of the activity out here.  there are a few guys running 2.4 and up, but until I can find some solid numbers to see if it is worth the cost, I am holding off on that.

KD7VEA